With the popularity of Gear VR and Oculus Rift, the adventure of VR world has been further boosted started by Google Cardboard and other VR devices. To watch VR content on VR headsets, you need make sure your video are either SBS (Side By Side 3D) or 360-Degrees and you also need a media player if you use a Android smartphine as a screen. As of now popular media players for Android like MX Player & VLC do not support VR Media Playbacks. So here we gathered Top 5 Free VR Media Players for Android phones to watch VR Videos on Gear VR/Oculus Rift DK 2/Oculus Rift CV1/ZEISS VR One, etc.
Top 5 Free VR Video Players for Android
App # 1 – VR Gesture Player
VR Gesture Player plays VR videos and normal videos like IMAX. The most distinctive feature of this app is its input method of hand gesture-based user interface. It allows touchless control of a smartphone. Users are ready to jump into the virtual reality by inserting VR Gesture Player installed smartphone into a Head Mounted Display (HMD) device. Hand gestures recognized by the rear camera of a smartphone control the app that users don’t need to take out the smartphone from the HMD for menu selection.
- Menu selection and words search by the virtual mouse using a camera or a sensor
- 360° video play
- Side-by-Side 3D and Top-Bottom video play
- YouTube video search and play
- Head tracking support
- smi subtitle support
- Sleep/Wake mode to save battery
App # 2 – VR Player Free
VR Player FREE is a consumer version of more powerful and customizable VR Player PRO media player app for high definition VR video playback, immersive media experiences, and even 360° LIVE streams.
Now, you can see what it is like to use your phone as an HD virtual reality headset OR move your phone around without a headset like holding a window into another world.
- Support 2D/3D photos and videos
- Supported formats: mono, side-by-side, over/under
- Read local files or call up remote URL’s
- Stream in 360° events live.
- Activate voice commands
- Gamepad and keyboard supports
- Subtitles support (.srt and .smi format)
- Ambient lighting effects
App # 3 – AAA VR Cinema app for Android (Cardboard Compatible)
AA VR Cinema is another free alternative VR Cinema player for Android and gives a variety of playback options to play normal as well as 360 3D VR Videos. The most striking thing about AAA Cinema which we liked the most is its head-tracking technology which works by tracking your head movement drift.
- Unlimited video length supported
- Superview 180° VR
- 180º Head Tracking: Side-by-side stereo 180° VR
- 360º 3D: Left and Right eye 360 movie for a full 3D VR experience
- Side-by-side stereo 3D movie
- Top-bottom stereo 3D movie
- 360° panorama video
- Single video
- Screen size options
- Graphic option enables non-high performance devices to play videos
- 4 Head tracking modes are available
]App # 4 – VRTV Player Free
VTRV Free is a free fully functional VR Video Player with support for all common 3D video types. It can let you watch your favorite videos in VR with VRTV Video Player and a Cardboard compatible headset! Enjoy shutting out the world around you and immersing yourself in complete privacy or play your video in sync with a friend and watch together.
- Synchronization feature! Enjoy watching a movie together with another Cardboard friend!
- Subtitles in SRT format, with full support for RTL languages and Unicode characters and automatic encoding detection.
- Configurable subtitle size.
- Immersive virtual environments. Watch in your own home theater, or in a crafty cave.
- Player controls in VR.
- Game pad and keyboard controls.
- Supports 3D and 2D movies in a variety of formats: Side by side (SBS), Over and Under (OU), Panoramic video in 180 (Dome) and 360 degrees, Fish eye projection.
- Simple material design.
App # 5 – Homido 360 VR Player
Homido Video Player comes from an VR Headset maker itself and consists of various multiple features. Not only it can play VR , 2D Videos alongside 360 Side By Side formats, but it even tries to project normal 2D Videos as 360 videos if the option is selected. The result widely depends upon the video type, but we managed to get a real decent 360 degree experience on lesser-resolution 2D Videos.
- « VR » Side-by-side web browser
- Easy-nav handsfree navigation: head tracking clicking system
Best VR Converter to Create SBS Video for VR Headsets
Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate – to convert 3D in all kinds of video types including 3D Blu-ray and turn them into 3D SBS MP4/MKV so that you can play the SBS video on your Android media player on Gear VR, Oculus Rift DK 2, ZEISS VR One, Google Cardboard. Plus, you can edit video to get clips of your favorite scenes from a movie before conversion. (For Mac users, you can try Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac)
- Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-video-converter-ultimate/
- Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-75938564.html